Staying safe from scams starts with knowing how we do business.
When you know how the businesses you work with handle billing, it’s easier to sense when something feels off. We never want you to fall victim to a scam, so here’s a look at our billing practices.
- We never request payments in person, and we never show up unannounced. So if anyone claiming to be from Spire shows up at your home or business and requests personal information, it’s likely a scam.
- We do not request email payments. In general, sending payment information via email is unsafe.
- We may, at times, call about your bill. If you receive a phone call from someone claiming to be with Spire and you feel unsafe, just hang up and call us.
- We issue all of our workers—even third-party contractors—Spire badges. Don’t be afraid to ask for one.
- We want you to be safe. Even if a worker has a badge and something doesn’t feel right, lock your door and call the police. Then, give us a call. We’ll make sure they were, in fact, from Spire.
In the end, the best way to prevent a scam is to be cautious. Never hesitate to call us if something feels off. We’re here to help. And, always remember, you do not have to give out personal information by phone, email or in person if you’re uncomfortable.