At Spire, our goal is to do more with energy. To continue innovating, doing what's right and pushing the boundaries of what's possible. Our sustainability efforts bring that goal to life.
Explore how we're bringing our environmental commitments to life in our FY 21 sustainability report.
46% reduction in gas utility methane emissions from 2005 to 2021
35% leak reduction in FY21 and 68% leak reduction in the last five years, per 1,000 system miles
Created a baseline for Scope 1 and Scope 2 greenhouse gas emissions to determine reductions required to meet our target
Supported environmental efforts in the communities we serve and the places we call home
We're on target to reduce gas utility methane emissions by 59% by 2025 and 73% by 2035. Here's a look at how we're working toward that goal.
- Established a dedicated team to lead our environmental commitment efforts
- Created a baseline for Scope 1 and 2 emissions
- Replaced 258 miles of aging infrastructure, which resulted in a 35% leak reduction per 1,000 system miles of distribution pipeline compared to FY20. This marks a 68% reduction in leaks over the last five years
- Reduced methane emissions from gas utilities (mains and services) by 46% from 2005 to 2021 as a result of our infrastructure upgrades and leak repair programs
- ...and more
- Measured our workforce demographics to establish a statistical baseline and identify areas of focus and opportunity for improving diversity
- Continued to develop new and innovative ways of building a pipeline of diverse talent while creating opportunities for employees to grow and advance
- Surpassed our social investment target with over $6.5 million to support the communities we serve, a 22% increase over our FY20 spend
- Offered energy efficiency programs, including weatherization, rebates and financing, to help customers save energy and money
- Formally assigned oversight of sustainability to specific committees of our Board of Directors to monitor strategy and plans, and ensure that progress is made on environmental, social and governance (ESG) commitments
- Regularly reviewed our governance practices and continued to update our policies in accordance with stakeholder expectations
- Maintained a well-qualified, independent Board of Directors that is 50% female and 20% racially diverse
- Monitored and managed risks and opportunities across the organization
We recently published several governance policies based on our sustainability initiatives.
The Spire Board acknowledges the importance of diversity in its broadest sense in the boardroom as a driver of Board effectiveness.
Spire is committed to respecting human rights in our own operations and complying with the laws of the states in which we do business.
We believe we all have a shared responsibility to care for our planet. As an energy company, we honor that responsibility, operating with environmental safety and sustainability in mind.