Search

default

Media name
Carbon Monoxide Safety - Hero
Carbon monoxide safety

We want to help you remove any possible risk.


When any fuel burns, it produces carbon monoxide. So when fuel-burning equipment doesn’t operate correctly, venting systems fail or chimneys become backed up, the carbon monoxide produced can become dangerous and even life threatening. We never want that to happen. So we’ve created this list of safety tips.

  1. Make sure your natural gas equipment and any related venting systems are inspected annually by a licensed professional.
  2. Regularly check your gas equipment exhaust vents for blockage, including snow and ice. Use a broom to sweep snow away from outside vents.
  3. Install, maintain and use Underwriters Laboratories-listed CO detectors throughout your home and business.
  4. Never use a gas oven or range-top burners to heat your home.
  5. Don’t use portable heaters indoors unless they are designed and approved for indoor use.
  6. Keep barbeque grills outdoors at all times.

If you’re experiencing any of these symptoms and think CO may be the cause, leave your current location and call 911.

  • Dizziness
  • Nausea
  • Headache
  • Fatigue
  • Shortness of breath
  • A yellow/unsteady burner flame
  • An unfamiliar burning odor
  • Black soot deposits on your appliances and vents
  • Increased moisture inside of windows

If you start to notice:

  • A yellow/unsteady burner flame
  • An unfamiliar burning odor
  • Black soot deposits on your appliances and vents
  • Increased moisture inside of windows

Call a licensed professional to have your equipment inspected right away.

And, as always, if you suspect CO is present, act quickly. Open windows and doors to let fresh air in, and if anyone shows signs of CO poisoning, leave and call 911.